Tuesday 29 October 2013

Loits - Ei Kahetse Midagi

 
LOITS - Ei Kahetse Midagi (SEVEN GATES OF HELL - CD 2003)
Damn, this has been so long since the last time I have listened to this excellent album that I had to wipe the dust from it first, but then I have actually been playing this CD for the whole day yesterday and today and will carry on tomorrow as well. Hell yeah, I almost forgot how awesome Loits is. First time I have actually heard of them and “Ei Kahetse Midagi” was when I got the cassette with this album from somewhere. And I couldn’t believe that somewhere in Estonia plays band of such high quality and with such musical style. It was somewhere in 2002 or 2001 and back then I didn’t know much about the Baltic scene of Lithuania, Estonia or Latvia (except Poccolus only), so it was huge, huge surprise for me to hear band such as Loits. I remember that I interviewed Lembetu sometime later and from then on every Loits release, which I could find, was quickly purchased and I really liked them all. Yeah, definitely this band is very special and certainly they’re the best Eastern European band for me (and by East European I mean countries East to the Polish border – I always hate when people call Poland an Eastern European country as geographically we’re in the fuckin middle of Europe; we used to be called like that because of the politics in the communism era, but that’s fucking history now and past… look at the map and see that we’re in the centre of Europe FFS!).
Loits is special – not only for music they play, but also for the whole concept which they’re dealing with – telling about the patriotism, national pride and the history of their country during the World War II with almost kind of soldiers’ memoirs, feelings, etc. Some people may accuse them for being even Nazis, seeing the band wearing the uniforms, which look so much like the uniforms of the German soldiers, but please – read the lyrics, check some more details about the band and more so, learn about the history of Estonia during the WWII and you will know why it is all like this (certainly not because they’re fuckin Nazis!). To tell the story short – Estonians were fighting for their independence against the Russia who occupied them, so they thought that taking the side of the Germans would help them fight Stalin… German troops were kind of liberators and definitely not such a great threat like in many other European countries and soon the country became part of Reichskommissariat Ostland. So, this is why the Estonian troops had the symbols and uniforms alike the German ones (these were the Estonian Legions which were for example joined to the famous Waffen SS Verfügungstruppe units).
OK, history aside (but remember that it is very important aspect of Loits’ music!)… Musically Loits gives a lot of credit to the Norwegian black metal scene, I think. If I didn’t know what band and album I listen to, then I would certainly think it is a lost gem from Norway or maybe new recording from one well known band from this country. Honestly, I really think that there are many influences from such bands as Gehenna (some of their albums at least, plus the vocals sound quite similar), Vreid / Windir, Tulus, Enslaved and even from Dimmu Borgir (from their “Stormblast” era) or Ulver’s “Bergtatt”. The riffing has many similarities to each of these bands and more so, the atmosphere of the Loits music is similarly cold and dark. From the other hand I can sincerely say that Loits – even if was influenced by all these bands – managed also to create something original and unique. And don’t get fooled by the bizarre term “flak ‘n’ roll” – whatever that would mean; in many ways this is classic, Norwegian-like, maybe little bit folky in some riffs, black metal record. Loits creates awesome atmosphere, I like how they diverse the music, so there are some more aggressive and harsh parts, but with many more melodic themes here and there, where Loits uses some keyboards or folky, quite catchy riffs, so in the end there’s always something great going on and the music is monumental, epic and cold atmospheric black metal… And I love it. The production of “Ei Kahetse Midagi” is also just superb; very clean, but with that harshness, which is necessary in this kind of music. Then I really like the vocals of Lembetu, who sings all the lyrics in Estonian and that always brings an extra feeling to the music… just like when Norwegian bands sing in Norwegian, Polish bands sing in Polish – the use of different language in black metal than the usual English gives something unique and characteristic and even if you can’t understand it, it just sounds damn awesome and apart the band from many similar acts.
Every time I listen to “Ei Kahetse Midagi” I am just really impressed by it. The riffing is just excellent, Loits managed to compose some truly awesome songs and the performance from every band member is just excellent. If I can be honest I just don’t see any faults on this particular album. It is just flawless and with 36 minutes on the clock it provides an excellent listening experience, which – even if I’ve listened to the album so many times already – never gets monotonous. I mentioned some Norwegian bands, which I find similar to Loits, but honestly I think that these Estonians are just better than say Vreid or most of Gehenna albums… “Ei Kahetse Midagi” is for me a superb classic and I really, really recommend it to you all… I feel like this band and especially this album are somehow forgotten and underestimated, so it’s time to give it what it deserves. Get it now!
Standout tracks: “Tulisilma Sünd”, “Valge Nägu”
Final rate: 90/100

No comments:

Post a Comment