Tuesday 5 November 2013

Skapt Av Skog - Skapt Av Skog



SKAPT AV SKOG - Skapt Av Skog (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2013)
I think that before I’ll review this CD I need to give you some explanation… Skapt av Skog was a Norwegian black metal band, which was active in the mid 90’s and recorded only one demo, “Skapt av Skog” in 1996… Somehow though this demo was never released and was forgotten, if I can use this word, as nowhere and never have I heard of them until last week. And I guess I am not the only one, really. This demo was supposed to be released on tape in 1997 by Nocturnal Silence / Moonshine, but it never happened and just now, 16 years later, it finally sees the light of the fullmoon (as they would say in black metal language hehe). It is really weird story, but as they say: “better late than never”, right?
But was it really worth exhuming this old demo of Skapt av Skog and releasing it on CD? Well, in my honest opinion it may not be a Norwegian black metal gem from mid 90’s, which would cause the earthquake, but still it is solid and sounds good enough and I can be only happy that “Skapt av Skog” has been released. This is very classic, pure black metal and in many ways if you’re into this music and such Norsk black metal bands such as Kvist, Urgehal, Taake, Tsjuder, Koldbrann, etc then it will interest you immediately. There are some really great moments on the demo, some really killer riffs and I also like the shrieking vocals of Amok… “I natta…” is probably my favourite song from it, with its hypnotising, but monumental riffing, similar to Troll’s “Trollstorm over Nidingjuv” demo, but “Morket eier alt” also hits the G-spot of my musical taste, with some furious, classically raw and harsh black metal. Meanwhile “Skapt av Skog” sounds like more thrash black metal track… Skapt av Skog was really not bad at all and I dare to say that quality wise their music wasn’t far behind these more well known bands, which I mentioned above. Really, it sounds damn awesome… I am becoming quite nostalgic about such recordings sometimes, but they really have captured that essence of the Norwegian black metal, which nowadays, with different studio standards and other things, is sometimes just lost. So yeah, I’ve really enjoyed listening to Skapt av Skog a lot. Pity it only contains three songs, with 10 minutes of music, I would love to hear more.
Final rate: 70/100

No comments:

Post a Comment