Wednesday 28 June 2017

Destroyer 666 - Pheonix Rising

DESTROYER 666 - Pheonix Rising (SEASON OF MIST LP 2012)
Destroyer 666 is fuckin crazy and unbelievably killer band. One of my all-time favouritesI love them. They released some of the best records ever in the history of extreme metal music and I am sure that more are to come, even though "Wildfire" is my least favourite album in their discography yet. But such "Unchain the Wolves" and "Phoenix Rising" are for me the real essence of old school, uncompromising metal! Everything about those albums is perfect and from start to finish I worship every sound on them. Both are equally killer, both have some of the best songs Destroyer 666 has composed and both are absolutely recommended. Here I want to write few words about "Phoenix Rising", although I don’t even know where to start. Magnificence of this record is beyond me and it's so damn good that instead of typing these words I would rather prefer to listen to it and bang my fuckin head like crazy maniax, because this album doesn't let you sit peacefully. But I'll do my best haha! Here we go... 
Well, the biggest strength of Destroyer 666 music is I suppose their ability to combine harshness, violence and aggression of old school metal (that would have parts of death, thrash, heavy, speed and black metal in equal measures) with irresistible catchiness and hooky riffs. Their music can sound vicious as hell, be aggressive and just damn vulgar, but there will be some melodies and memorable parts also – like choruses, particular riffs or whatever else that makes every song sound like the best metal anthems of war you'll ever hear in your life. Idoes fuckin feel like not even a single song on "Phoenix Rising" is weak, there's no room wasted for fillers and unnecessary stuff. Destroyer 666 aims to kill you with every sound of their music and they truly do succeed. 
Ferocious and aggressive sound makes you feel like you're under relentless, inexorable attack. And this unstoppable cannonade of malicious deathriffage seeks no prisoners, but victims. It wants your blood! Whether the music is neckbreaking fast, mid paced or epic, slow – nevermind what patterns the band uses, it always works perfectly and the music is brilliantly composed and performed. The balance between all these different tempos and feelings has also been done in best possible wayAnd with the top notch production "Phoenix Rising" sounds powerful and vicious, I cannot imagine a better way for such music to sound.  
As you can see I can complement this album over and over. Obviously I have my favourites songs here, like for example the grand "The Eternal Glory of War", "I Am The Wargod (Ode To The Battle Slain)", "Lone Wolf Winter". But there's also the truly bonebraking "Pheonix Rising" and "Rise of the Predator". Yeah, we have here great songs from start to finish and with something like 40 minutes duration this record is a great listen. So I absolutely recommend it. It's been reissued several times, also on vinyl with great new artwork from Z.Bielak, the sound is perfect, the whole presentation also, so there's no excuse for not having it in your collection! 
Standout tracks:  "The Eternal Glory of War", "I Am The Wargod (Ode To The Battle Slain)", "Lone Wolf Winter" 
Final rate: 90/100

No comments:

Post a Comment