Thursday 21 December 2017

Throne of Evil - Conocimiento oculto

THRONE OF EVIL - Conocimiento oculto (SCHATTENKULT Produktionen CD 2017)
I am familiar with Throne of Evil already, I have one CD somewhere in my collection, but I just don't remember what was it like, since I didn't listen to it much. Recently Schattenkult Produktionen unleashed Throne of Evi's newest album and it's another fine and solid release from this label, worth of your interest. Throne of Evil are from Chile and I have to say I like a lot of Chilean extreme metal bands, death metal mostly, but it's good to know that their black metal scene has also something great to offer. And along with SiaskelSlaughtbbath, Communion or Kratherion, there's yet another killer black metal band there. And the name of this beast is Throne of Evil. It's also band of Balrog from Concatenatus. And while I have an opportunity to do that, let me remind you how killer their "Aeonic Dissonances Beyond Light's Consumption" cassette is. But now it's time for "Conocimiento oculto" and yes, I like this album also. 
"Conocimiento oculto" sounds like very strongly influenced by the classic Norwegian black metal. When I listen to these songs, I have bands like DarkthroneIsengard, Hades, even early Emperor in my mind. They are bands, which were always among my favourites. So maybe this is why Throne of Evil music sounds fuckin awesome to me. They have similar atmosphere in the music, similar feeling and very good quality. I love the production, I like these harsh, croaky vocals... and the clean singing, which gives more monumental feel to some songs, also sounds fantastic. Mid tempos dominate through most of the album and it works pretty well, I think, because it also gives you an impression of very cold and grim, malicious yet monumental black metal. And finally, I have to say also that Throne of Evil has THE RIFFS! Riffs, which freeze your blood with that utterly cold, evil atmosphere and are really fantastic, especially in "Bajando De La Montana" and "Grito De Odio Ahogado En El Bosque" (great vocals!). And so what that "Conocimiento oculto" doesn't bring anything new to the genre, so what that there's nothing avantgarde and sophisticated about it... Who cares?! The traditional sound, alike to the greatest Scandinavian efforts from the early 90's, was and always will be the best way for black metal. So, if I get a new album, which sounds like that and have the proper, killer quality, I can only applause and recommend it. Throne of Evil does that exactly. And in such case, the cover of Emperor's "Inno a Satana" fits the entire album perfectly, right? "Conocimiento oculto" is just about 30 minutes long, so there are only four own Throne of Evil compositions, but it's enough to convince me and to like this album a lot. 
One thing I don't understand is why the front art came up so dark in the print. I've seen the cover on Throne of Evil's facebook profile and thought that it's just superb. Sadly it didn't come as visible on the booklet as it should have, you can hardly see half of the details, especially the trees and mountain, which is a shame. I know it's just a minor thing and no one probably even cares, but I do haha! Anyway, I think that "Conocimiento oculto" is just a great record, so I recommend it, give it a listen , especially if you're into all these classic albums like "Again Shall Be", "Total Death", "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism", "Wrath of the Tyrant" (demo, I know) or "Hostmorke". 
Standout tracks: "Bajando De La Montana", "Grito De Odio Ahogado En El Bosque" 
Verdict: 75/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment